To wake up your workouts, try popping a couple espresso energy balls rather than your usual pre-workout. You can even use them as a go-to snack choice, replacing the nutritional landmines that populate most vending machines.
For higher-protein energy balls, try blending in a scoop of your favorite protein powder. Store balls in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- Espresso powder or very finely ground coffee: 1 tbsp
- Almonds, pecans or walnuts: 1/2 cup
- Rolled oats: 3/4 cups
- Raisins: 1 cup
- Dried unsweetened coconut: 1/3 cup
- Almond butter: 2 tbsp
- Cocoa powder: 3 tbsp
- Chia seeds: 2 tbsp
- Lemon zest: 2 tsp
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- Protein powder (flavor of choice; optional): 2 scoops
- Place the espresso powder in a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons boiled water, and stir to dissolve. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Place the nuts and oats in a food processor, and process them until pulverized. Add the dissolved coffee, raisins, coconut, almond butter, cocoa powder, chia seeds, lemon zest, vanilla, and a pinch of salt; blend until the mixture clumps together.
- Form into 1-inch balls. You should get about 20 balls.