- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 28-ounce can plus one 14-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, with juices
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup bulgur (see Note)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt for garnish
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder to taste and cumin. Cook, stirring often, until the onions and carrot are soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, sugar and salt; cook for 5 minutes over high heat. Reduce heat to low; stir in beans and bulgur. Simmer until the chili is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with yogurt, scallions and cilantro, if desired.